The New Year can often bring changes to employer-sponsored health benefits, including what's covered, which providers are in-network and medication costs. However, with the influx of plan information, chart breakdowns and cost comparisons that come from HR, these changes aren't always straight-forward and may lead to costly surprises down the road.
We've put together a few tips and considerations to prep you for 2021 and help you get the most out of your benefits. Whether you have minor changes to your coverage, are sticking with the same plan or are starting an entirely new one, it's always a good idea to familiarize yourself with your benefits from the start.
What to look for
Start-of-the-year changes can vary based on your benefits or situation, but it's important to check ahead for:
- Procedure or medication coverage changes
- Doctors or clinics who are now out-of-network—or closer proximity providers who are now in-network
- Deductible or out-of-pocket max changes
- New benefits available to you (acupuncture, massage, etc.)
- Updated treatment cost estimates
Understand your benefits
When you know what's covered, you can avoid unnecessary costs and be prepared for unexpected health care needs. It also allows you to be proactive in maintaining your health—preventative coverage, like yearly check-ups and screenings, can often go unused.
Take a moment to review your benefits! Focus on:
- Knowing your virtual health care options. Now, more than ever, it's important to understand how your benefits work with virtual care. You may have options for video, chat or text—and sometimes it's cheaper to seek virtual care than go into a doctor's office.
- Understanding your deductible, HSA or FSA: Low vs. high deductible. HSA vs FSA. There's a big difference between plans and it's important to know what's what and how you can use these funds—it can be used on more than you think!
- Getting the most out of your plan: Do you have niche benefits? Services like acupuncture and massage? Know before you spend out of pocket!
Are you a Journi user? Care Guides can help
Connecting with a Journi Care Guide is a great way to quickly understand what's covered and get the most out of your benefits—and they're available to chat 24/7.
A Care Guide can:
- Explain benefits and answer questions about your overall coverage
- Explain which expenses are covered by your HSA
- Help you find virtual or in-person care
- And more!
To learn more about the many ways Journi is supporting our users, get in touch.